Sunday, June 3, 2018

Automation ... benefit, or ... not so much... ?

I've been "urban boondocking" this last month while in Co. Springs. I've eaten in McDonalds for breakfast. They have Large coffee for $1 and a sausage burrito for $1.  They ALSO have a new innovation that is very useful. It is a "place your order station". You can use what is basically a touch screen computer with a pay input . Once you place your order, you take a thingy with a number that allows someone to bring you your order. Now this is not news to most of you. The benefit is you reduce having to stand in line. It is more efficient. For McDonalds , it allows the employees to focus more on prepping food and beverages. It also reduces their overall need for employees. And that's what *I* consider the important effect. As automation becomes more efficient and accurate , the need for human workers will be seriously reduced. This is the first time in my life I've come to believe that eventually, some really smart computer system will start to "think" ... and what it will think is "what do we need people for?" This is the first time in my life I've seen this development as more than just a really creative and entertaining SciFi story. Just call me "John Connor".. hahahah. Ok, it's not really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the time being , I will NOT be moderating comments.

WP