Friday, February 17, 2017

Q&A session

A friend from back in the Springs asked some questions... I thought they and my answers would make for a good post of what's going on.  Currently, I am still in Felicity CA.

So what is next? Saving the Pacific coast for spring?

It looks like I need to go back to the Springs for a week or so.  My dog Taz needs to see a Vet and there's only 3 in the whole city of Yuma.  I also need to get some things out of my storage unit and also get rid of stuff in there.  

After that, I am considering visiting my Son, Sister and Niece in Texas. 

Then back to the West.  I've applied for a job as a campground host  at 2 campgrounds on the East side of Yosemite.  If I get the job, it will be from June to October.  It won't pay much, but will provide a stable site without having to move, and near Yosemite! 

I am curious… is it costing more/less than you expected?  How are your beasts liking it? 

It costs about what I expected.  During the earlier transition time, I ate at the McDonalds in Quartzsite for Sausage Egg McMuffin more than I should have.  I paid to shower at the truck stop in town about once a week.  That was $12 each time. Other than that, camping has been free because I always stay in free campgrounds or just out in the desert.  I DO have to buy water for drinking, since I'm mobile and don't have a mountain spring in my trailer! :) But it IS the desert and there are many places to do that.  And drinking water is 25 cents / gallon everywhere I've been.  

Taz and Lacy seem to love the life.  They're both good dogs and seem to just want to be where I am.  Taz is still having anxiety issues with actually riding in the car.  Getting a little better, maybe.  But I don't look forward to going on a long drive. 

Anything that you didn’t think of that caught you off guard? 

I had the idea that I would be able to have more space around me where I parked and camped.  There are a LOT of people out here, most from northern states and Canada. 
I've had to park near a few Class A motorhomes and giant 5th-wheels.  Most RV parks are full of them, but surprisingly, so are the free spots on BLM land. 
Where I am now, I'm about 50 yards from one that has 2 shelties that bark everytime they see us.   I HAVE found some places on the other side of the Interstate  that are more deserted. 

Another thing that I've found out here is that I can just keep going on dirt roads and end up in Yuma without getting on the Interstate.  When a sign says "No outlet", that isn't completely true!  Especially if you have a 4X4 and are stupid enough to try to keep going.  :)  It often means that state or county maintenance of the road ends at that spot.  


Post more pics... can you stand up in your trailer? 

I CAN stand up in there.   It's about 6'3".  I will post more pics of the inside after I've done some more work in there.  I'm taking my time customizing it in order to get a better idea of what I want/need.   I know a few things I need to do... and am getting more realistic about what I CAN do..  I've seen a few cargo trailers that are REALLY nice on the inside, but most of the guys with them are carpenters and such.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

For the time being , I will NOT be moderating comments.

WP