Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The Trip from Hell!


This is what I posted on Cheaprvliving.com about my trip to pick up my trailer in Waco, TX.
-----

The Trip from hell (and yes, I know it could have been much worse! )  Smile
As far as my journey went... the agent for Haulmark discovered an issue about the delivery the day I was going to pick it up. 
I ended up meeting a delivery guy that he hired in a WalMart parking lot.   It took all day to make this happen.  
I was in Waco, TX , which is on the Freeway corridor from Dallas to San Antone... heavy traffic, fast nutty drivers, lots of tight lanes and lane changes .  First time ever driving anything bigger than say a 4x8 Uhaul... lots of stress. 

My dog, Taz , was freaking out... he jumped up in the front seat twice while my son and I were driving back to Austin.  More on that later.   

Again, since I am new at driving a trailer, I got stuck twice and had to have someone help me to back it up.  Again, never driven a trailer this long.  

Then the weather hit when I was just south of Lubbock.  Got down to about 3 degrees in a few hours.  I ended up spending two nights in a motel... Colorado was socked in and roads shut down.   Spent a lot of time watching YouTube video's about backing up a trailer... I have a much better idea how to do it now.  I had forgotten what little I did know from a long time ago.  

Left Sunday morning, heading back to Colorado.  About 20 miles north of Lubbock, while walking my dogs away from the Interstate, my dog Taz got off of the leash.  Next thing I see him hightailing down a 1 lane dirt country road.  Away from me. 
the "ignoring therapy" didn't quite work. Took me an hour to find him, driving around, stopping at farmhouses, asking if they'd seen him.  Was on the phone with my sister , asking for moral and prayer support , when I saw him running toward me about a mile away.    Wow!  I ignored the vet's instructions and gave him *2* of the tranq's she had given and told me to give IN ADVANCE. He calmed down in about 15 minutes, and was calm the rest of the trip.  Clearly, in advance was not the solution. We'll see if this is. 


I had to drive through a little bit of snow... again , a first for me with a trailer.   That was no problem, I just drove slow and steady and made NO sudden changes. 

So, yep, it COULD have been worse.  And I rolled with most of the punches , trying to learn as much as I could from them.  So, all-in-all, a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For the time being , I will NOT be moderating comments.

WP